September 28, 2023


The Number One Source For Business

Thousand Oaks Insurance Agent Reports Choices for Motorcycle Insurance for the Teen Driver

Thousand Oaks insurance

Shortly before your teen is ready to apply for the permit is the time to meet with your insurance agent about insurance.

Not every teen wants to drive a car; some would rather ride motorcycles, dirt bikes, or even scooters and mopeds. Parents can, understandably, be hesitant to allow their teen to ride and Cary Runnells, State Farm Insurance Agent in Thousand Oaks, CA has prepared a report to help parents understand the licensing, safety and insurance options available for teen riders.

First on the list is to prepare the teen rider. The State of California requires a Class M1 or Class M2 driver license to operate a motorcycle or a “Motor Driven Cycle.” The California Department of Motor Vehicles motorcycle handbook describes these vehicles as:

  • Motorcycle having only two wheels and an engine that is over 150cc
  • Motor Driven Cycles have engines that are 149cc or less
  • Vehicles must be registered
  • Driver must be licensed

Before getting his or her license, your teen needs a motorcycle permit. Teen drivers need to be at least 15 ½ years old to get a permit and must complete a motorcycle rider training course that is given by the California Highway Patrol. Other requirements include passing knowledge and skill tests and obtain the Certificate of Completion for the motorcycle training course.

“Shortly before your teen is ready to apply for the permit is the time to meet with your insurance agent about insurance,” said Runnells of the Thousand Oaks State Farm Insurance Agency. State Farm offers motorcycle insurance for multiple bike types:

  • Factory-built motorcycles
  • Motor scooters, minibikes and trail bikes (OHV)
  • Classic motorcycles
  • Custom motorcycles in some cases

Your insurance agent will help you determine the best levels of coverage you need to cover:

  • Bodily injury to someone else or to the insured driver in the event of an accident, including uninsured motorist coverage
  • Damage caused to someone else’s property while your teen is riding
  • Damage to the motorcycle caused by an accident and theft, fire, vandalism, and other losses — even while your motorcycle is in storage for the winter
  • Attached side cars
  • Emergency roadside expenses
  • Damage to protective gear

“Another excellent benefit that we offer,” said Runnells, “is discounts on insurance when policies are bundled and when the teen driver takes advantage of State Farm’s many teen driving programs. We help you choose the best programs for your teen. Safe driving programs cover all aspects of driving any kind of vehicle safely and help instill safe driving habits.”

The Cary Runnells Thousand Oaks Insurance Agency provides a full portfolio of life, vehicle, home insurance, business insurance, medical insurance plans and investment packages. Call today to help get your teen motorcycle rider safely on the road.

Cary Runnells State Farm Insurance Agent

100 E T O Blvd Suite 144

Thousand Oaks, CA 91360-8126

(805) 496-1951

Share article on social media or email: